Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Rainbow Cake!



This is a very cool cake to make. If you have kids, they'll certainly love it.

But be warned, you will need some patience.

As I always do, before starting a new creation, I researched about it to know what other people were doing and how they'd made it work.

To make it easier, some people would rather use a plain cake mix and just add the food colouring. not me, though, I like to make everything from scratch. That said, I started with a simple white cake with a touch of vanilla to make it a bit more special.

Filling

The filling was a tricky thing. I knew I couldn't use a filling that was too soft, otherwise the cake would not be firm enough and when cut, one layer would stain the next one so, the effect - which is pretty awesome - of the seven different colours of the rainbow would be lost. I didn't want to use the "traditional" buttercream, I wanted something different.

Since I really (REALLY!!) like chocolate, my favourite filling is always chocolate truffle, it is creamy and delicious. However, white chocolate can be a bit “too buttery” so, a white chocolate truffle wouldn't be the right fit in both taste and texture for this cake.

After a while, I decided to give it a try with a traditional Brazilian sweet called: Beijinho.

Beijinho is a traditional sweet served usually in kids' parties but it can also be used for filling.

The texture of Beijinho is perfect to be used with the raibow cake as it acts like “glue” for each one of the layers and also provides a sweet (but not too sweet) coconut flavour.

Icing

With the icing, I wanted to keep it all white. I thought it would contrast well with the colours of the cake. I could use then meringue, whipped cream or beijinho itself. Beijinho icing wouldn't give the effect I was hoping, and the meringue would make the cake too sweet. Whipped cream seemed like the way to go, it is light in flavour and looks beautiful.

What is great about this recipe is that you can customize it as you please. Some folks are doing only six colours, others bake one batter with all colours combined. You can also add colour to the icing to make it more special.

Now I would love to hear from you:

Have you ever tried this recipe or a similar one?

What makes your cake shine?

Thank you for reading this.

Dee ;)

2 comments: