Thursday, December 26, 2013

Chocolate Trifle

On the previous post I talked about favourite desserts and since we are on Holiday Season, I’ll continue posting some of my favourite dishes for this time of the year.

As I’ve mentioned before, the Pavê or Chocolate Trifle is a must have in my family’s Christmas and New Year’s dinners. Since I’ve being making this for a long time now, I think I’ve managed to put together a pretty good recipe that I’d like to share with you!

This is a recipe that allows you to get creative! You can substitute the chocolate layer with anything you want; I have seen from the most traditional versions, with peaches or pineapples, to peanuts and coffee flavours.

I hope you’ll enjoy it.


Chocolate Trifle – Pavê de Chocolate


Ingredients

- 1 package of sponge fingers (about 300g - 400g)
- 395g of condensed milk
- Milk (Use the condensed tin or box to measure one amount in milk)
- 3 yolks
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 300g of dark chocolate
- 300 ml of thickened cream
- Brandy

Whipped cream

- 300 ml of thickened cream (make sure it is very cold)
- 2 full tbsp of caster sugar

Preparation

1 – Combine the condensed milk, vanilla extract, milk and yolk, and take it to medium heat stirring well until it is a creamy homogeneous mixture, reserve.
2 – Melt chocolate in Bain Marie and add the thickened cream and brandy. Whisk until smooth, reserve.
3 – In a separate bowl, add some milk and brandy to dip the sponge fingers before assembling the Trifle.
4 – Start layering the Trifle starting with the sponge fingers, then custard and lastly the ganache.
5 – Finish with a layer of sponge fingers and take it to the fridge while preparing the whipped cream.
6 – Beat cream with the sugar until peaks are formed.
7 – Decorate the Trifle with whipped cream and chocolate, as you please.

Have you ever tried this recipe before? I would love to know what you think.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Dee ;)


1 comment:

  1. Made this today with some slight modifications... awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete